24 November 2016
Classroom Agriculture Program in need of volunteers!
Classroom Agriculture Program (CAP) is a great program which helps grade 4 students learn about where their food comes from and why agriculture is important.CAP is looking for volunteers who are involved in the agricultural industry to assist with this program.
CAP is a not-for-profit organization that relies on people who are dedicated to preserving and promoting agriculture.
Anyone who has a passion for agriculture can be involved in CAP.
What do Volunteers do in CAP?
- Any Grade 4 teacher in Alberta can register for CAP and when they do an agriculture volunteer goes into their classroom and teaches the students about agriculture. The volunteers in CAP all have unique presentations because each one focuses on their specialty, such as cattle, chickens, environment, etc., but in the end, they have a common message – that agriculture plays an important role in students daily lives.
- This one hour, free presentation uses storytelling, hands-on props and fun activities to engage the children.
When does CAP occur and how much TIME is involved?
- Presentations occur in March, April or May depending on the volunteer's schedule (CAP is a very flexible program, and we work around volunteers schedules.) Last year volunteers reported that about 5 hours was the norm for the time dedicated to the CAP presentations, this includes preparation time.
Background information on CAP:
CAP is a not-for-profit organization that teaches grade 4 students where their food comes from and the importance of agriculture in their daily lives. Industry experts volunteer their time to help teach students about agriculture. Each lesson is free for the classroom and is typically about an hour long.
- Since 1985, over 600,000 students across Alberta have taken part in CAP.
- CAP is a multi-commodity initiative supported by:
- Agriculture For Life
- Alberta Beef Producers
- Alberta Chicken Producers
- Egg Farmers of Alberta
- Alberta Barley Commission
- Alberta Canola Producers Commission
- Eastern Irrigation District
- Alberta Wheat Commission
- Alberta Milk
- Alberta Irrigation Projects Association
- Alberta Pork
- Alberta Pulse Growers Commission
- Alberta Veterinary Medical Association.
- Alberta Institute of Agrologists
This initiative has been endorsed by the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, and Minister of Education
To register as a volunteer with CAP please go to our website at www.classroomagriculture.com and use the volunteers pull down menu or contact Don George (GM) email firstname.lastname@example.org
, phone 587-877-2544.