Social Media Policy No.: 1200.17
Yellowhead County's large geographic area makes communications to residents, industry and
travelers challenging. As such, Yellowhead County may use social media to communicate County
initiatives, goals and objectives or other pertinent information with the community and various
Yellowhead County has a business need to augment traditional communication methods with the
use of social media channels. Through social media, the County wishes to increase awareness of
municipal services and events, disseminate time-sensitive information quickly and to provide
additional means to gather community comments and perceptions regarding the County and its
1. "Social Media" means the umbrella terms that define the various activities that integrate
technology, social interaction and content creation. Social media uses technologies and
forms, including RSS and other syndicated web feeds, blogs, wikis, photo-sharing, video
sharing, podcasts, social bookmarking, mashups, widgets, virtual worlds, microblogs and
more. NOT all forms of social media may be appropriate for use by the County.
2. "Approved County Social Networking Site" refers to social networks that the County Chief
Administrative Officer has assessed and approved for use by County Departments.
1) This policy applies to all County employees and approved volunteers providing services on
behalf of the County.
2) A County department's decision to embrace social media through an approved County Social
Networking Site shall be a risk-based business decision approved by the Department Head and
shall consider the department's mission and goals, audience, legal risks, technical capabilities
and potential benefits.
3) Department Heads or their designates are responsible for determining who is authorized to
use social media on behalf of the department, and for designating appropriate access levels.
4) Departments shall only utilize County approved social media networks for hosting official
County social media sites.
5) Departments are responsible for establishing and maintaining content posted to their social
media sites and shall have measures in place to prevent inappropriate or technically harmful
information and links.
6) The same standards, principles and guidelines that apply to County employees in the
performance of their assigned duties apply to employee social media technology use.
7) Comments containing any of the following shall not be allowed on County social media sites
and may be removed by Corporate Communications;
a) Comments not topically related to the particular site or article being commented on.
b) Profane language or content.
c) Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed,
color, age, religion, gender, marital status, physical or mental disability or sexual
d) Sexual content or links to sexual content.
e) Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity.
f) Content related to non-County related sales, advertising or promotions.
g) Comments determined by the County to be a specific attack on groups or individuals or
to be inherently political in nature or cause.
h) Content that reveals personal or private information about any particular person or is
otherwise protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
i) Content that violates any County policy.
j) Content that is deemed to be inappropriate by the County's Corporate Communications
8) Documents and records generated as a result of this policy will be maintained in accordance
with the Yellowhead County record retention policy.