Evansburg is located approximately 100 km west of Edmonton on Highway 16 along the Pembina River Valley and is the first community at the eastern border of Yellowhead County. Evansburg is the largest hamlet within the County and is slated to grow larger with the recently developed subdivision.
Evansburg has a thriving small business centre catering to the surrounding agricultural community. There is a grocery store, clothing store, restaurants, bakery, hairdressers and other small businesses. The Evansburg/Entwistle Chamber of Commerce supports and enhances business development in the hamlets.
Evansburg began with the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway in 1910 and the completion of the bridge across the Pembina River. Coal mining (Pembina Peerless coal Mine) brought expansion and immigration to the hamlet in its early years. The mine operated for 24 years, but shut down in 1936 during the depression. As mixed farming increased in the area, the Village of Evansburg became a viable community again. In 1998 when the Municipal District of Yellowhead No. 94 became Yellowhead County Evansburg dissolved and became the Hamlet of Evansburg.
Wildwood is located approximately 116 km west of Edmonton on Highway 16. There is currently a significant amount of vacant and developable land, as well as capacity in services, in Wildwood. The County will support growth and future development in this community.
During the early 1900’s, Wildwood, then called Jarawa, was a settlement of black people. When the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad went through, the name of the community was changed to Junkins as the letter ‘J’ was the next letter in line to be used in the naming system, but Junkins was later renamed Wildwood. Wildwood has a rich and interesting history of settlers, churches, cemeteries, and schools, just to name a few. Located west of Wildwood, between the two highways to the southeast of Granada was a Prisoner of War Camp for the Japanese. This camp would have been in operation during the Second World War.
Today, Wildwood is a community of thriving businesses and services with one of the main attractions being Chip Lake Park. Also located in Wildwood is Yellowhead County’s Community Services Office.
Located approximately 32 kilometers east of Edson on Highway 16 and eight kilometers north on Highway 32. Settled by pioneers from the western part of the United States in the early 20th century, Peers was established as a farming community, however, farm consolidation in 1941 decreased the number of homesteaders and resulted in larger but fewer farms. Today, Peers remains a strong agriculture community.
Rosevear is located approximately 13.5 kilometers North of Highway 16 on Range Road 154. At one time, Rosevear had a store, post office, dentistry practice, a school, and other businesses. Today Rosevear is famous for its ferry that crosses the McLeod River as it is one of the few ferry’s still operating in Alberta.
The YO-HO Museum in Peers is operated by Bill and Isabella Dixon. Some of the items you will find there include: a 1917 hand built Cabin; clothing, furniture and collectables from the 1920’s or earlier; over 32 antique cars and a Cochin -Saw (aka Jig Saw) patented in 1876
The present day Niton Junction is located on the north side of Highway 16, approximately 55 km east of Edson. Niton Junction evolved during the 1930s to service the motoring community, and still functions as a highway commercial node. Agriculture, petroleum, and the public school are the other economic forces in the community.
Just four kilometers north of Niton Junction is where the original settlement of Niton was located, now referred to as Old Niton. Old Niton was a major station located along the railroad and consisted of a school, post office, a store, stockyards for shipping cattle by rail, and other businesses & services. Today there is a historical museum where the Niton townsite used to be. Present day Niton Junction is known for being a truck stop and rest area as it has several restaurants, a café, and gas stations. Also located in Niton is Yellowhead County’s Green Grove Swimming Pool, which is at the school.
Marlboro is located fifteen minutes west of Edson on Highway 16.
Established in 1913 as a result of the development of a marl mine, Marlboro once was home to nearly 2000 people. Marlboro offers an opportunity for residents seeking a rustic lifestyle.